Friday, February 12, 2010

Home made Mac and Cheese

I am sure that most of you love the blue box of mac and cheese. It's quick and easy and costs practically nothing. But unfortunately for me I despise it. Growing up my little brother was a finicky eater and Mac and cheese was one of the few things he would eat. I couldn't even stay in the room because I hated the smell. One day, I was with a friend visiting her grandparents and her grandfather had made home made mac and cheese. I am sure it took a lot of coaxing to get me to try it but once I did I was hooked. I found a great recipe and twisted it my own way and it's one of my family's favorites.

Home made mac and cheese

You will need:

1 Tbsp butter
1 small onion (chopped)
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp flour
1 cup (uncooked) Elbow Macaroni noodles
4 cups of milk
3 cups of cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup buttered bread crumbs (only if you are going to bake it)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (again, only if you are going to bake it.) In sauce pan on medium heat, saute onions and pepper in butter. While onions are cooking, cook the noodles according to package directions and drain. When onions become transparent, add flour and mix well to form a paste. Add milk and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Turn heat down to low and add cheese, salt, and garlic pwd. (You can use any cheese you like but I would suggest you use at least 1 cup of medium or sharp cheddar.) Mix together and till cheese is melted and add noodles. Now you can choose to eat it just like this or you can place it in a casserole dish and sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Cook it for 20-30 minutes till the cheese sauce begins to bubble up on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment