Friday, February 19, 2010

Veggie Melt


I must be on a veggie kick this week!

When I was a young girl my mom used to take us to this health food store in the city we lived in. Not that we were health nuts or anything, I think was mostly for the restaurant in the back of the store. They served mostly sandwiches, salads, and drinks. We would always get these AMAZING smoothies and my very favorite sandwich in the world The Veggie Melt. They had all kinds of veggies stacked up on wheat bread with lots of gooey cheese melted on top. I admit that I did love vegetables as a kid but I think almost anyone would love this sandwich. I used to dream about till I finally gave in and just tried to figure it out. It's so easy but so good and a good way to try to get your kids to eat more veggies.

Veggie Melt Sandwich

You will need: (For one sandwich)

2 slices of bread (I usually use wheat but whatever you like works)
1/2 avocado sliced
1 handful of sprouts
2 Tbsp shredded carrot
1 small tomato sliced
2 small mushrooms sliced
salt and pepper
cheese

Turn your oven to broil and toast your bread (You don't have to toast it but it keeps it from getting soggy. Place bread on a cookie sheet on top of bread assemble your veggies. (I always put the mushrooms on top so they soften from the melty cheese.) Sprinkle with salt and pepper (I usually do a little garlic powder too.) then put in the oven for a few minutes. Watch them closely and pull out when the cheese has completely melted. I was really naughty and made bacon and put it on top of the cheese when it came out. YUM! My kids ate every bite and even asked for seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment